Sunday, April 18, 2021

The TV Roundup #13


Has it been a week already? My, my, time sure flies. I wanted to say something about clichés and then I realized the song playing in the background right now as I'm writing this is Cliché by mxmtoon lol.


You Are My Hero | E32-E40

All's well that ends well. For me this was a Ma Si-chun show all the way but I am VERY biased. YAMH, though not completely my cup of tea, is actually very nice fluff. There's an earthquake and one too many hostage situations but no one important to the story dies. In fact, I don't recall there being ANY deaths even among background characters. No wait, I remembered wrong. There was at least one. His death was plot device though and not even an important one lol. Overall, I'd say the show is a relaxing, feel good watch. The OTP has great chemistry and they communicate! They're a breath of fresh air and are honest to God couple goals.

I also love the character growth of Mi Ka. She went from a fresh med school graduate who was a (justifiably) nervous wreck when she was in a life-or-death situation in episode 1 to the incredibly brave and professional physician in the finale's hostage sitch. She was scared for her life but she did her doctor duties and went through it all with an admirable calm and grace despite the threat to her life. Love her!


Heaven's Official Blessing | E01-E04

The story is going at a snail's pace. I forgot how slow animated series can get. Things do happen I guess and yet I'm not...satisfied? I'm not sure that's the right word. Anyhoo, my interest only ever ticks up when the OTP is getting too close for comfort. I'm of half a mind to just check out the source novel, but at the same time, I want to check out and do a million other things as well.


Gifted (2017)

This isn't a TV show but I saw it on Netflix so I'm lumping it in here. I'll probably put films I see on here too. I can't be bothered to create a separate post for movies unless I feel inspired to write a whole post on a film.

Back to Gifted. It's the story of Frank, a single man (Chris Evans) raising his intellectually gifted niece Mary (McKenna Grace) and the ensuing custody battle that occurred when his exacting and ambitious mother Evelyn (Lindsay Duncan) finds out about the kid's intelligence. Octavia Spencer also stars as Frank's no-nonsense neighbor and McKenna's frequent babysitter/friend.

McKenna is the star of the show - no contest. Close second would be the easy and natural rapport she had with her "uncle." Chris and McKenna both shone best in their scenes together. You cannot help but root for the uncle and niece they played and the strong bond they share.

Lindsay Duncan as Evelyn the grandmother was excellent. On paper, Evelyn was very easy to hate. It appeared that she was trying to realize her failed (frustrated?) dreams of academic superstardom in her daughter Diane, a one in a million kind of math geeeeeenius who had the talent to potentially crack a long unsolved math problem. That obviously didn't pan out because Diane dies, and then little Mary comes along. Cue drama. Lindsay Duncan's nuanced portrayal turned Evelyn from hateful snob to... well, she's still a snob but one whose viewpoints I could understand and even concede. In her own way, she too wants the best for little Mary.

Octavia Spencer. Siiiiiiigh. Octavia Spencer was criminally wasted on this. Her character was not really necessary to the plot. I can't believe they cast an award-winning actress to basically scold Chris Evans when his character's being a dumbass. Such a waste.

Verdict? It's a good film. I cried a little bit. Very straightforward story elevated by its talented and charming cast. 3/5 stars.


Four Sisters Before The Wedding (2020)

Another one released on Netflix today. This is the prequel to the wildly successful 2013 family comedy-drama Four Sisters And A Wedding. FSAAW is ICONIC. It is easily one of the most memorable and meme-able films in the last 10 years. The pressure is high for FSBTW. Did the prequel deliver? I think yes. It didn't blow me away but I wasn't disappointed either. The movie was very well cast and the young actresses, while still relatively green, were able to channel the OG actresses' portrayal and at the same time put their own stamp to the characters. Charlie Dizon as Teddie was a particular standout.

There were moments, some lines, that made me cringe but that might just be me and my dislike of typical Pinoy cheese. Overall an enjoyable watch. 3/5 stars.

Prequel and OG movie posters.

And now some of my favorite moments from A Wedding. These ones are often memed as well.



*Chef's kiss*


No comments:

Post a Comment