Monday, April 26, 2021

The TV Roundup #14


A later post than usual. I've been feeling exceptionally lazy about writing lately. It's not like I was watching anything very interesting, thought-provoking, or squee-inducing, so there's not much to write I suppose. I did do a fair bit of studying and took tests last week so I was not entirely unproductive. I also cried a fair bit for absolutely no reason. Triggered by two very emotional songs (Patti Labelle singing "Hero" to Mariah Carey, and Remember Me from Coco). It's one of those moods.


Ragnarok | E01-E02


A dark fantasy show on Netflix based on Norse mythology with murder and a little town mystery mixed in, this sounds like my jam on paper. Unfortunately, Ragnarok falls flat and is awfully dull. None of the characters I've met so far have been particularly compelling or interesting, even the attractive villains who ate raw animal hearts and live birds. I think they're suppose to come off like Charlize Theron in Snow White or the ridiculously good-looking Cullens in the small town of Forks, Washington. (I can't believe I still remember that. I read Twilight over a decade ago.) The lead character Magne has a perpetually constipated look on his face and the personality of a wet blanket. I don't know if I'll keep watching the show although I do want to see Norwegians adapt their own mythology on screen.

Side note: It was my first time actually hearing the Norse tongue and I was surprised at how very different they pronounced ragnarok. It was not all hard consonants like how Americans say it or how I always said it in my head when I was just reading the word off an encyclopedia page as a kid. I would love to watch more Norse productions and hear more of the language.


Heaven's Official Blessing | E05-E13

I don't know. I finished the season and came away with...nothing. It wasn't bad but it wasn't particularly memorable either. I think I only managed to watch as many episodes as I have because the episodes are so short and it's easy to fit in an episode or two while I ate or did random chores. The OTP is very cute though and I would probably enjoy this story more once we get to the mystery surrounding the OTP. My one real complaint about the animation is ALL THE CHARACTERS LOOK THE SAME. I concede to being hyperbolic but I swear there's very little variation in the character designs. It's hard to tell who's who if I don't pay attention to what they're wearing.

These are four different people. I rest my case.


Jeopardy | E7742-E7745 Season 34 College Championship Semi-finals and Finals

Annnnnd that's a wrap. I've watched all the available episodes on Netflix. I'm going to miss watching Alex Trebek. The video below is my favorite moment from episode 7742. Such a warm, wonderful, funny man. I know he's been gone a few months now but it's hitting me all over again that this man I grew up watching on TV, who was a big part of my childhood as a nerdy kid who loved quiz shows, has left the earthly realm. Rest in power, Mr. Trebek. You are greatly missed.


No comments:

Post a Comment