Sunday, March 21, 2021

The TV Roundup #9


The world, or at least my world, is back to where it began a year ago -- a lockdown. We've come full circle. Vaccines are available but supply is limited so healthcare workers, front liners, and other vulnerable populations are given priority. And if you can get a vaccine, do it! For your sake, and for the others who cannot get safely vaccinated for health reasons.

The Sword and The Brocade | E01-E25

This was an accidental binge watch. It's like I made up for lost drama watching time in one day. I watched 19 straight episodes. I did skip most of the political scenes but that's still a lot of hours. I haven't done a marathon binge of this length in a while. 

I really like the OTP dynamic here. Individually, they are smart, capable people, but together they are the most awkward beans ever. Watching them change their minds about the other and slowly fall in love (slooooow burn) has been an absolute delight. I do have to report that Episode 24 onward has been rather boring. I don't know if it really is that way since our couple has been separated (one is off to do his duties, the other is left at home) and the politics has been ramping up or because I've hit saturation point and need to do something else. Which I did.

This may be my most favorite Wallace romantic leading man yet. Xu Lingyi is awkward, sweet, respectful. He's flawed but he tries his best. When his wrongs are pointed out, he accepts criticism and tries to change his ways.


Shoutout to actresses Ying Er and He Hong Shan for their riveting portrayals of first wife Luo Yuanniang and concubine Qiao Lianfang, respectively. I especially liked Ying Er's calculating Yuanniang. She was a big reason I stayed during the first 10 or so episodes when she was alive and the romance hadn't started yet. She schemed and planned all so her son's safety and legacy is protected. I do not condone the things she did, but I admired her strength and composure in the face of death. Concubine Qiao, on the hand, is an utterly hateful woman and yet I do not find her annoying to watch on screen. Actress He Hong Shan has breathed life into this character, made her feel real and at times even sympathetic. No small feat that.

New (to me) actresses to watch out for.


She Would Never Know | E14 - E16 Finale

There was a tonal shift in the final two episodes. It's like the first 14 episodes were shoujo and then a 5-year time jump later and we have a josei in our hands. It's a different flavor but I liked it. I liked it a lot. It was a lot less cotton candy fluff and melodrama. The effect of those five years really showed and I'm happy to report that all main leads, including annoying secondary characters all showed growth and maturity. Let's count it down:

Whiny Mom. I think hers is the most drastic change, except for the Banshee Princess. She finally woke up, looked in the mirror, and gave a good, hard look at herself. Then she stopped living in denial land and actively took steps to improve herself. The immediate result is a shocking 180. It's like they cut out her necrosed personality and grafted a new one in place. Amazing. I even found her interactions with our OTP cute in the final episode.

Cheating Ex and Banshee. I'm still not sure how I feel about the eleventh hour character rehab but I appreciate the maturity and perspective they both obtained after five years. I am glad that they both managed to move on, get closure, and be civil down the line. Nice little bow ending I suppose.

Chae Ji-seung and Lee Jae-woon. A couple we stan. The OTP might bring the chemistry and cuteness, but this couple isn't any less sexy or desirable. We have two mature individuals who went in knowing their own and the other person's worth. They knew what they wanted - a life with each other - and lived their best life to make that happen. It's honestly amazing how well they suit each other. I can only wish that I be blessed with the same kind of stable, loving, respectful relationship they have.

Chae Yeon-seung and Dr. Doth Protest Too Much. Internalized homophobia and cowardice. That's what ultimately killed their marriage. Sad. She is everything that is good and kind. It is his greatest fortune that she fell in love with him and continued to love him despite his fuckery. (And to be clear, being gay or whatever the hell gender he is is not the instigating problem. The problem is he had an emotional affair with an ex and dragged her into the cesspool of his self-destructive confusion and cowardice.) She was beyond generous when she offered to stay with him and be his beard shield while he came to terms with his true self. And finally, finally she's free. It only took five years. Ultimately, I believe divorce is good for everyone involved. All three (mom, dad, kid) will be happier and mentally and emotionally healthier in the long run.

Yoon Song-ah and Chae Hyun-seung. Have I mentioned that I really like the shift in the OTP dynamic? For the longest time, it felt like Song-ah held the power in their relationship and Hyun-seung, like a true adoring puppy, tailed after her and selflessly gave her what she needed. She herself saw how unfair that was on him and broke up with him for "his own good." Pfft. Correct diagnosis, wrong treatment. Breaking up was not the answer, but she finds that out for herself. Now girlie is chasing after puppy. Turn about is fair play and I love it. I really enjoyed the moments of her "wooing" him and having her be vulnerable and open, so he can finally see how much she loves him too (in vino veritas hahahaha).

There was a point when I wasn't sure if I wanted to go back and finish this show but I'm glad I did. I really enjoyed these final two episodes and the series as a whole. Lots of warm fuzzies and smiles from me. In the end, there's really not much to the show: it's just two lovely people meeting at work and falling in love in the process. Shows like this live and die on the chemistry of the leads and I'm glad to say both Won Jin-ah and Ro Woon delivered in spades.

❤❤❤

Jeopardy | Austin Rogers episodes

Champion Austin Rogers has amassed over USD 400,000 at the point I stopped watching. His brain capacity for trivia is amazing.


Suits | Season 6

Suits is one of my all-time favorite shows. It's so easy to watch and sometimes I watch random episodes just because I miss the OG cast. This is one of those times. I didn't watch the whole season, just selected episodes of Mike in prison and when he first got out.

No comments:

Post a Comment