Saturday, March 6, 2021

The TV Roundup #7


Has it really been 7 weeks already? Man, time flies. I found some time and energy to watch a new show this week. Which of course means I didn't have time to watch that other show. Oh well. (Spoiler warning: Don't read this post if you haven't seen the first 4 episodes of Vincenzo.)


Vincenzo | E04

Let me preface this by saying I love The Godfather trilogy. (A remixed version of the theme is my ringtone!) I like my fictional mafiosi morally grey or straight up evil, capable of doing really bad things to get the job done, and most of all - compelling.

Vincenzo Cassano falls very short of that standard. Especially since he was made out to be this incredibly sly and scheming dude at the beginning. He managed to easily foil an assassination attempt by professional mafia hitmen and then less than 48 hours later he gets drugged, beaten up, and his possessions stolen by small time crooks??? Explain that to me. 

It was like his brain power halved when he landed in Korea. He kept letting bad shit happen to him and making a move after the fact. That's not how I imagined a powerful mafia's (former) strategist would move. I was promised a sexy, scheming brain dammit!

I guess I'm disappointed because I went in expecting a dark, gritty, beautiful show about an ex-consigliere and what I got was a typical Korean story of a team of underdogs fighting against a greedy corporation. The mafia background story is little more than salad dressing at this point.

I also disliked the annoying ahjussi lawyer on his moral high horse. He is, predictably, dead. Good riddance. It's just funny that this actor keeps dying whenever he plays lawyers. LOL.

And I hate that the Hong Cha-young is being wasted! She's supposed to be really good at her job but she morphed into useless arm candy once she teamed up with Vincenzo. She's quick on the uptake and I love her chutzpah. She has a lot of potential and I really wish they'd do more with her character.

Now that my complaints are out of the way. Let's talk about what I love. The weird motley of tenants. Jeon Yeo-bin's sass and unapologetic demeanor as Hong Cha-young. Puppy Taec doing his best puppying yet. Dapper Song Joong-ki.

My favorite about the show so far (other than the visual treat that is Song Joong-ki) is the reveal that puppy Taec is THE big bad. In hindsight, it makes perfect sense. Taecyeon wouldn't get cast for a simple love rival character. His antics and actions take on a very different color now that we know he's the evil mastermind.

So that's Vincenzo the show. I went in with high hopes. Said hopes were promptly dashed within the first episode. When will I ever learn? If it's a crime show not on OCN, it's never going to be as dark as I want. To be fair, it IS an enjoyable show and I am definitely enjoying all the looks Song Joong-ki and Jeon Yeo-bin are serving. I just needed to adjust my expectations and enjoy the show for what it is.

Now here are some pretty pictures to brighten your screen! I will never tire of looking at Song Joong-ki in sharp suits.❤️





So handsome. How does one compliment a handsome guy in Italian? I'll find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment