Friday, February 5, 2021

The TV Roundup #3


Mr. Queen | E16

Lots of amusing things in the last 2 episodes.

  1. The eunuch pissing his pants at the littlest non-threatening things the king says. Spineless spy is feeling very guilty.
  2. The "sexy times" music that plays whenever SoBong and Cheoljong have a heated moment is HILARIOUS. Imma find that song and add it to my kdrama OST playlist.
  3. The Three Musketeers thing the king's got going with his trusted left and right hand.
  4. On the opposite end, we've got the Queen and her ladies maids channeling the Three Stooges. That "crying" gambling scene was a hoot.

I still dont give a damn about the palace machinations although I do find Sad Orabeoni's political savvy very sexy. And with Eui Bin shedding her white lotus* mask in front of the King, I wonder if after "finding herself" she'll go back to being the flawed but overall good woman the King fell in love with. She hasn't done anything iredeemable yet. Sure she almost got the Queen killed, but the King himself once tried to off the Queen and he received forgiveness. Or will she persist being a white lotus (trying to fool others AND herself that she's not a selfish bitch) or perhaps embrace the dark side she so clearly has?

*'White lotus' 白莲花 (bái lián huā) – a person, typically female, who appears pure as a white lotus, but her true nature is the opposite. (definition adapted from Written Chinese)

No white lotus here. Just a thorny black rose out to prick anyone who dares harm her. Image source: MDL.

She Would Never Know | E06

I binged 5 episodes last weekend and now that I'm all caught up, I'm sad. This is the kind of show that's perfect for mindless, feel good binge-watching. There isn't much plot. It's basically two incredibly good-looking people falling in love and navigating the problems that arise from work place romance and a cheating ex who also happens to be their boss. It's the perfect vehicle to launch Rowoon to A-list romantic leading man status. Emphasis on man, because while high school romance Extraordinary You was his first big break in the acting scene, She Would Never Know is the one that I think is going to take him to the next level. Boy got helluva lot hotter playing a namja. Rowoon has natural charm and presence on screen. He's still quite green, but he's actually not a terrible actor all things considered. He's already improved some since his first acting foray. I was pleasantly surprised by that.

Won Jin-ah I have no complaints about. This is the first project I've seen her in. The more I see her, the more attractive I find her. She has a peaceful elegance about her and I am digging that energy and the quiet dignity with which she portrays Song-ah. She and Rowoon have cute chemistry together and that's already a win my book.

Ship ship ship! Gif source: The Qoo.


Run On | E16 Finale

The ending was rather anticlimactic even for a relatively low stakes show. This show is like a journey where I enjoyed the process more than the destination/ending. I'm glad it ended well and am thankful for the comfort it gave me. I'm also really glad we have couples who frickin communicate (such a rarity in kdramaland) and the main couple in particular are so sweet together and make a lot of effort to cherish and understand the other. Couple goals!

The other OTP...ended as I expected them to. Oh well. At least I got several weeks of watching Soo-young be awesome.


Zoey's Extraordinary Play list | E05

I watched episodes 3-5 over the course of 2 days. Still charming and winsome. Episode 4 was by far my favorite of the season for giving me Simon absolutely slaying Juice by Lizzo and Alice Lee singing. I don't even remember what she sang. I just remember stopping whatever I was doing with my hands and closing my eyes to enjoy her lovely singing.

Can you blame Emily (Alice Lee) for being Team Simon? Lol.

1 comment:

  1. Ohh, Run on and She would never know sounds interesting. New dramas on my to watch list! Thank you! <3

    ReplyDelete